Thursday 21 May 2009

The unfamiliar

Many of you may be familiar with the concept of 'das unheimlich' (the unfamiliar, unhomely, or uncanny) as elaborated by Sigmund Freud. This may be manifested in a number of ways, for example seeing a hat-stand as a threatening person lurking in the shadows in that brief moment of non-recognition before its real identity becomes evident. Several days ago I was attacked by a hat-stand, which also stole my DVD player - the fucking bastard. You may also have similar experiences which you are very welcome to share here.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I was mugged by a tea cosy thinking it was Benny (from that gawd awful programme, Crossroads, no I never watched it, it was just always on the box when I was about 6 or 7 eating my lunch when I was off at summertime) he stole my radiator!

    I feel all nostalgic now, all so innocent back then in the eighties, always summer (In my mind), always smiling, always there, never ending, the smell of cut grass, all so cliched, all so missed, all so long ago........

    ReplyDelete