Wednesday 20 May 2009

Owls, ownership and commodification

Owls, contrary to popular misconception, cannot rotate their heads through 360 degrees. Should you find that your owl is capable of this feat, the chances are that its head has become detached from its body for some reason. Owls do not make good pets - I don't speak with any authority on this subject; I have never owned an owl - but it is a belief of mine. I guess I could be persuaded otherwise by someone of greater experience (or indeed any experience) in the business of owl-ownership - I am still of the conviction, however, that to try and treat an owl as an object of ownership is against my ethical nature and, possibly, morality. I would suggest that this poses a question of the ethics of ownership and commodification in general terms, but furniture moving duties and night security here at the Institute prevent me from delving further into this issue. Do feel free to post details of your favourite avian species, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment